Makes 4 serves
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
handful of fresh basil
2 × 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
4 large eggplants, thinly sliced lengthways
1/2 cup plain flour
75g freshly grated parmesan cheese
200g fresh mozzarella cheese
1. Prepare the eggplant, salt the sliced eggplant, cover them with paper towel and top with weights, leave for 30 mins.
2. Make the sauce, heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and garlic, cook gently for a few mins. Add the canned tomatoes, sugar and basil leaves, simmer for 20-30 mins until thickened.
3. Heat oil in a griddle pan, coate the eggplant slices with flour, grill in batches.
4. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced.
5. In a large baking dish, spread a little of the tomato sauce over the base. Top the sauce with a layer of the eggplant slices, spoon over a bit more sauce, then scatter over some mozzarella, parmesan and basil leaves. Repeat the layers, fnish with tomato sauce and cheese.
6. Bake for 30-40 mins until top is golden. Top with more basil leaves.
Enquire about Chef’s Recipe...
One of our friendly staff members will contact you shortly to discuss your enquiry.